Trump says reciprocal tariffs will target ‘all countries’ | Economics news
The remarks of the US president of the muffled hopes that the tariffs will only target certain countries.
The President of the United States Donald Trump said his soon announced reciprocal tariffs would be applied to “all countries”, pouring cold water in the hope that only economics with the largest trade imbalances with the US will be targeted.
In an interview with journalists on Brod Air Force One on Sunday, Trump said his long -awaited tariff announcement will “start” with all countries.
You would start with all the countries, “Trump told reporters.” Basically, to all the countries we are talking about. “
Trump’s remarks come after his administration played the scope of tariffs that were presented on April 2, which the US president called “Liberation Day”.
The White House Economics Advisor Kevin Hassett suggested earlier this month that the measures will be focused on 10 to 15 countries that represent most of the US trade deficit.
“There are more than 100 countries that don’t really have tariffs and have no non-Tariff barriers,” Hassett said in an interview with Fox Business.
Trump himself seems to have played the seriousness of the upcoming tariffs last week, saying that reciprocal measures will be “very milder” and that people will be “surprised”.
Although the specific details of Trump’s plans are unclear, his administration has pledged to hit countries with duties that are equal to tariffs and non-Tariff trade barriers, such as subsidies, imposed on US exports.
Trump, who announced a 25 -long tariff last week on all car imports, has long accused other countries to use the US to trade, throwing his protectionist economic plan as needed to revive domestic production and job creation.
Trump’s latest cars and other vehicles have tightened Washington relations with some of his closest partners and allies, including Canada, the European Union and Japan, and all have large car industries.
Trump’s announcements about tariffs also sent jerks through global markets, and investors struggled to evaluate if the US president intends to make their tariffs permanently or consider them primarily negotiating tools.
Trump said last week that he was “safe to open” for contracts with countries to avoid tariffs after the announcement on April 2.
The Asian Stock Exchange has suddenly fallen on Monday in anticipation of further disorder in global trade.
The Japanese reference value of Nikkei 225 and the reference value of South Korea decreased by 3.85 percent, or 2.55 percent, from 03:00 GMT.
The Australian ASX 200 dropped 1.56 percent, while Hong Kong Hang Seng fell by 1.20 percent.
Gold, traditional assets of safe haveven during the period of volatility on the market for the first time increased above $ 3,100, tearing up at a record high of $ 3,106.79 per ounce.