long beach truck accident lawyer
Many of the nation’s busiest highways are located in or near Long Beach. These include Interstates 710, 405, and 605. Much of the truck traffic through Long Beach passes through these interstates because they are home to one of the busiest ports in the world. Trucks are a common sight not only on these highways, but also on the streets of Long Beach. Huge commercial trucks on surface streets also put pedestrians and cyclists in Long Beach at risk.
Usually, trucks, cars and motorcycles share the road without any accident. However, when they crash, the results can be devastating for those riding passenger cars or motorcycles.
The most common causes of truck accidents in Long Beach include:
- Driver Fatigue: Truck drivers often work long hours and may not get enough rest, leading to fatigue which can cause accidents.
- Distracted Driving: This includes activities like texting, eating, or using a GPS while driving.
- Speeding: Driving over the speed limit is a common cause of accidents.
- Improper Loading: If the truck’s cargo is not properly loaded and secured, it can cause the truck to become unstable and lead to an accident.
- Lack of Maintenance: Trucks that are not properly maintained can have mechanical failures which can cause accidents.
- Driving Under the Influence: This includes driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Rain, fog, snow, or icy conditions can make driving more dangerous and lead to accidents.
What if I Share Responsibility for My Long Beach Truck Accident?
In California, where Long Beach is located, the state follows a “pure comparative negligence” rule in personal injury cases. This means that if you share responsibility for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by an amount that is equal to your percentage of fault.
For example, if you were found to be 20% at fault for the accident and your damages amount to $100,000, you would only be eligible to receive $80,000 in compensation.
However, it’s important to note that determining fault in a truck accident can be complex and often requires the expertise of a lawyer. They can help gather evidence to prove the other party’s negligence and minimize your degree of fault.
Please consult with a legal professional for advice tailored to your specific situation.
An Insurance Adjuster for the Trucking Company Wants a Recorded Statement From Me. Do I Have to Give Them One?
No, you are not legally required to give a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster from the trucking company. In fact, it’s often recommended that you do not do so without first consulting with a lawyer.
Insurance adjusters are skilled at asking questions in a way that may make you inadvertently admit fault or downplay your injuries. This could potentially be used against you later to reduce the amount of compensation you receive.
Before giving any statement, written or recorded, it’s best to speak with a lawyer who specializes in truck accidents. They can guide you on what to say and how to protect your rights.
Remember, this is general advice and may not apply to your specific situation. Always consult with a legal professional for advice tailored to your circumstances.
Why Should I Hire A Lawyer For My Truck Accident Case?
Hiring a lawyer for your truck accident case can provide several benefits:
- Expertise and Knowledge: Truck accident cases can be complex, involving multiple parties and intricate laws. A lawyer has the necessary expertise and knowledge to navigate these complexities.
- Handling Insurance Companies: Insurance companies often try to minimize the compensation they pay out. A lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure you get a fair settlement.
- Proving Liability: A lawyer can help gather and analyze evidence to prove the other party’s liability. This can include police reports, witness statements, trucking logs, and more.
- Calculating Damages: It can be difficult to accurately calculate all the damages you’re entitled to, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A lawyer can help ensure you’re seeking the full compensation you deserve.
- Representation in Court: If your case goes to trial, a lawyer can represent you in court and present your case to the jury.
Remember, it’s important to choose a lawyer who has specific experience with truck accident cases to ensure they’re equipped to handle the unique challenges these cases can present.
When Should I Hire a Long Beach Accident Lawyer?
It’s generally recommended to hire a Long Beach accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. Here’s why:
- Preservation of Evidence: The sooner you hire a lawyer, the sooner they can start gathering and preserving evidence that may be crucial to your case. This can include things like accident scene photos, witness statements, and trucking company records.
- Dealing with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies often try to settle claims quickly and for as little money as possible. Having a lawyer from the start can help ensure your rights are protected and that you don’t accept a settlement that’s less than you deserve.
- Medical Records: A lawyer can help ensure your medical records are properly documented and that you’re receiving the appropriate care for your injuries.
- Legal Deadlines: There are certain deadlines, known as statutes of limitations, for filing a lawsuit after an accident. A lawyer can make sure you don’t miss these deadlines.
Remember, most accident lawyers offer free initial consultations, so it doesn’t hurt to reach out to a lawyer soon after your accident to discuss your options.
What Compensation Can I Receive for My Truck Accident?
The compensation you can receive for a truck accident can vary greatly depending on the specifics of your case. However, here are some common types of damages that may be included in a truck accident claim:
- Medical Expenses: This can include costs for hospital stays, surgeries, doctor visits, physical therapy, medication, and any future medical care you may need as a result of the accident.
- Lost Wages: If your injuries prevent you from working, you may be compensated for the income you’ve lost. If your injuries impact your ability to work in the future, you may also receive compensation for lost earning capacity.
- Property Damage: This includes the cost to repair or replace your vehicle and any other personal property that was damaged in the accident.
- Pain and Suffering: These are non-economic damages meant to compensate you for the physical pain and emotional distress caused by the accident.
- Wrongful Death: If a loved one was killed in the truck accident, family members may be able to receive compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and more.
Remember, the specific amount and types of compensation you may be eligible for can vary greatly depending on the specifics of your case. It’s best to consult with a lawyer who can evaluate your case and give you a more accurate estimate.
I Lost a Loved One in a Long Beach Truck Accident. Can The Dominguez Firm Help Me?
I’m sorry for your loss. The Dominguez Firm is a well-known law firm in Greater Los Angeles that specializes in personal injury cases, including truck accidents. They have a strong track record of success in these cases. If you’ve lost a loved one in a truck accident, they may be able to help you pursue a wrongful death claim. This could potentially include compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and more.
However, it’s important to reach out to them directly to discuss the specifics of your case and understand how they can assist you. Remember, this is a general suggestion and it’s important to consult with a legal professional for advice tailored to your circumstances.
I am an Undocumented Immigrant. Can I Take Legal Action for My Truck Accident?
Yes, in the United States, undocumented immigrants have the right to take legal action if they’ve been injured in a truck accident. This includes the right to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages related to the accident.
It’s important to note that your immigration status should not affect your ability to seek justice in a personal injury case. However, it’s also crucial to work with a lawyer who is sensitive to the unique concerns of undocumented immigrants and can help protect your rights throughout the legal process.
Can I Afford to Hire The Dominguez Firm?
The Dominguez Firm, like many personal injury law firms, typically operates on a contingency fee basis. This means that they only get paid if they win your case. Their fees are then usually a percentage of the settlement or award that they obtain for you.
This arrangement makes it possible for anyone, regardless of their financial situation, to afford high-quality legal representation. You typically do not have to pay anything upfront or out-of-pocket.
However, it’s important to discuss the specifics of the fee arrangement during your initial consultation with the firm or any lawyer you are considering hiring. This way, you can fully understand what you can expect in terms of costs.
Remember, this is general information and the specifics may vary depending on the firm or the case. Always consult with the legal professional for advice tailored to your circumstances.
How The Dominguez Firm Can Help You
The Dominguez Firm is a well-known law firm that specializes in personal injury cases, including truck accidents. Here’s how they can potentially help you:
- Expertise and Experience: The Dominguez Firm has a team of experienced lawyers who specialize in truck accident cases. They understand the complexities of these cases and have a track record of success.
- Investigation and Evidence Gathering: They can conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, gather evidence, and work with experts to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: The Dominguez Firm can handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance companies involved, aiming to secure a fair settlement for you.
- Legal Representation: If your case goes to trial, they can provide strong legal representation in court.
- No Win, No Fee: The Dominguez Firm typically operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay unless they win your case.
- Bilingual Services: The Dominguez Firm offers services in both English and Spanish, making them accessible to a wide range of clients.
Remember, it’s important to have an initial consultation with the firm to discuss your case and understand how they can assist you specifically.